Summer is underway at Lakeshore State Park and flowers are in bloom! As you walk through the park, you’ll see an explosion of color. The bright orange of Butterfly Weed, the stark white of Wild Indigo, and the vibrant blue of Spiderwort are present in the park, especially in the northern demonstration gardens. These and many more plants are vital to the survival of native pollinators. Consider planting any of these pollinator “helpers” in your own garden to help increase insect populations, such as the monarch butterfly.
July Park Events
- Monday, July 3rd: Fireworks Drop In, 5:00PM-8:00PM
- Saturday, July 8th: Animal Tracks Hike, 2:00PM-3:00PM
- Sunday, July 9th: Brunch By the Beach, 10:00AM-2:00PM
- Tuesday, July 11th: Fossil Hike, 6:30PM-7:30PM
- Saturday, July 15th: Prairie Hike, 10:00AM-11:00AM
- Sunday, July 16th: Fishing Clinic, 1:00PM-3:00PM
- Wednesday, July 19th: Beach Bonfire, 4:00PM-8:30PM
- Thursday, July 20th: Migration Drop in, 1:00PM-4:00PM
- Friday, July 21st: Edible Plants Hike, 10:00AM-11:00AM and 2:00PM-3:00PM
- Friday, July 21st: Bird Hike, 6:00PM-7:00PM
- Saturday, July 22nd: Bumble Bee Hike, 10:00AM-11:00am
- Tuesday, July 25th: Tales for Tot’s, 3:00PM-4:00PM
- Friday, July 28th: Urban Critter Drop In: Squirrels, 12:00PM-3:00PM
The park educators offer a wide variety of programs for kids and adults, such as fishing clinics (no license required for children 15 and under) and events that focus on nature education and exploration, all designed to be hands-on and family-friendly.